Understanding the meaning of democratic society
Learning Outcomes: Students will be able to
- Discuss the different meanings of a democratic society
- Analyze the different levels and connections between the personal, family, social and political responsibility.
Listen to the song: Heal the World:
- Ask the students to express how they feel after listening to this song.
- Discuss how they, as future teachers, deal with such a situation?
- What is their role, as teachers, when dealing with anyone who are affected by conflict?
- Responsibility View this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-QRqIGznHvU
- Have the students break into groups and give each group a country or region to investigate Circle of responsibility (responsibility for ourselves , for community, for country), attitudes towards mandatory responsibility.
- Bull B.L (2008), A Politically Liberal Conception of Civic Education, Stud Philos Educ 27, 449–460
- Cohen J.L (1998), American civil society talk, Philosophy and Public Policy Quarterly, 18 (3), 55-79.
- Sabia D. (2012), Democratic/Utopian education, Utopian Studies, vol. 23, no.2, 374--405.
- Westheimer J. , Kahne J.(2004), Educating the “Good” Citizen: Political Choices and Pedagogical Goal, Political Science & Politics, 37 (2), 241-237